One of the reasons I began writing/blogging again, is because some extreme charismatic/word-faith/speak it-claim it teaching was taught at my church recently. My previous post was also inspired by this occurrence. In the weeks that followed, I did a lot of reading and listening to Bible teachers who have studied this global “renewal” movement, and so here I provide some resources which have given me a better understanding of this religious movement and its theology.
Video: Teachings and Personal Testimony
- Lyndon Unger: History of the Charismatic Movement
- Lyndon Unger: The Heterodoxies & Heresies of the Charismatic Movement
- Lyndon Unger: A Biblical Understanding of Tongues, Healing and Prophesy
- Lyndon Unger: A Biblical Understanding of Words, Faith and Prosperity
- Why the Charismatic Movement Burned Me
- Confessions of a Former Charismatic…
- Evidence of the Holy Spirit (Real, Biblical evidence as opposed to the mostly fraudulent charismatic understandings. Along the way, he throws in some Messianic understandings I can’t agree with, but his commentary on 1 Corithians 12, 13 & 14 is exemplary and especially pertinent to understanding the right from the charismatic wrong – His go-through of 1 Cor 13 was especially good in comparison to “teaching” we recently received at church from the visiting charismatic word-of-faith/healer/prophet guy).
- Justin Peters: False Prophets, Clouds Without Water (Disagree with the Reformed/Calvinist theology, but his Biblical take down of charismaticism is good)
- Young lady’s testimony of the good and bad of charismatic-ism. Really sad part is her “God told us to do this…” and the aftermath of that.
- The Personal Testimony of Costi Hinn (Benny Hinn’s nephew)
- Testimony of young man who left prosperity gospel focused charismatic church Part 1 (Despite the prosperity gospel angle, the underlying teachings/theology that this man found wanting, was nearly the same thing we were taught at Metzlers! – minus the begging-for-money part – This story was gut-wrenching… See parts 2-5 as well to get full story)
Articles: Anecdotes, teaching, commentary & history
- Gnostic Pentecostalism
- Gnosticism: The Heresy that Keeps on Troubling the Church
- The Roots of Pentecostalism: The Gnostics
- On Fire… Or Burned Out?
- Charismatic Churches and the Cult of the New
- Zeal Without Knowledge
- The Seduction of Charismania
- Generational Curses Exposed and Refuted
- Against the Protestant Gnostics – Philip J. Lee
- Why I Left the Contemporary Christian Music Movement – Dan Lucarini
- Counterfeit Revival – Hank Hanegraaff
- The Smell of Sawdust: What Evangelicals Can Learn from Their Fundamentalist Heritage – Richard J. Mouw
- The Kingdom That Turned the World Upside Down – David W. Bercot
- The Radical Community of Faith – Beryl Forrester
- The Tailor-King: The Rise and Fall of the Anabaptist Kingdom of Munster – Anthony Arthur
Jesus Christ is Lord, and He will overcome the self-serving spectacles and the human subjectivity that modern charismatic “prophets & healers” teach and practice.