A reason I’ve begun writing/blogging again is some charismatic/word-of-faith ideology has been allowed to be taught and advocated for at our church. My previous post was also inspired by this movement. So as a followup I provide these resources which Biblically and reasonably counter the errors of this global phenomenon, which now is beckoning our churh as well.
Here are some resources I’ve read and viewed in the past and recently, that have encouraged me to follow Jesus and build His Kingdom, whilst avoiding modern american charismatic/pentecostal ideas, practice & expressions.
Video: Teachings and Personal Testimony
- Lyndon Unger: History of the Charismatic Movement
- Lyndon Unger: The Heterodoxies & Heresies of the Charismatic Movement
- Lyndon Unger: A Biblical Understanding of Tongues, Healing and Prophesy
- Lyndon Unger: A Biblical Understanding of Words, Faith and Prosperity
- Why the Charismatic Movement Burned Me
- Confessions of a Former Charismatic…
- Evidence of the Holy Spirit (Real, Biblical evidence as opposed to the mostly fraudelent charismatic understandings. Along the way, he throws in some Messianic understandings I can’t agree with, but his commentary on 1 Corithians 12, 13 & 14 is explemary and especially pertinent to understanding the right from the charismatic wrong – His go-through of 1 Cor 13 was especially good in comparison to “teaching” we recently got at Metzlers from the charismatic word-of-faith/healer/prophet J.C. Alzamora…)
- Justin Peters: False Prophets, Clouds Without Water (Disagree with the Reformed/Calvinist theology, but his Biblical take down of charismaticism is right)
- Young lady’s testimony of the good and bad of charismatic-ism. Really sad part is her “God told us to do this…” and the aftermath of that.
Articles: Anecdotes, teaching, commentary & history
- Gnostic Pentecostalism
- Gnosticism: The Heresy that Keeps on Troubling the Church
- The Roots of Pentecostalism: The Gnostics
- On Fire… Or Burned Out?
- Charismatic Churches and the Cult of the New
- Zeal Without Knowledge
- The Seduction of Charismania
- Generational Curses Exposed and Refuted
- Against the Protestant Gnostics – Philip J. Lee
- Why I Left the Contemporary Christian Music Movement – Dan Lucarini
- Counterfeit Revival – Hank Hanegraaff
- The Smell of Sawdust: What Evangelicals Can Learn from Their Fundamentalist Heritage – Richard J. Mouw
- The Kingdom That Turned the World Upside Down – David W. Bercot
- The Radical Community of Faith – Beryl Forrester
- The Tailor-King: The Rise and Fall of the Anabaptist Kingdom of Munster – Anthony Arthur